God and Prayer


If you are like me, then at several points in your life you have wondered why there is a need for you to pray. For me, when I do not get what I pray for, within the timeline I have given God, I start throwing tantrums. Literally rolling my eyes at God and asking Him what the problem is. Well lately, I have come to realise that prayer is a way of life. Just like I would talk to the people I see, talking to God (prayer) is necessary for our relationship to flourish. Although I ask God for things through prayer, it is essentially still a conversation with my Lover for eternity. It is fellowship with my Maker and it brings a certain peace to my soul that nothing else can.

The Book of Genesis introduces us to God’s fellowship with man in the Garden of Eden. This introduction takes place after Adam and Eve disobey God’s command to man not to eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, we can safely conclude that this was previously a regular occurrence. 



The JFB Bible Commentary describes it this way:

“…they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden”—The divine Being appeared in the same manner as formerly—uttering the well-known tones of kindness, walking in some visible form (not running hastily, as one impelled by the influence of angry feelings). How beautifully expressive are these words of the familiar and condescending manner in which He had hitherto held intercourse with the first pair."

Through the rest of the Bible, several references are made to people walking God and God dwelling among men. For example, Genesis 6:9 tells us that Noah walked with God. In Exodus 29:45, God says, I will dwell among the sons of Israel and I will be their God”. 

The various accounts of God and man fellowshipping show us that prayer and communion with God is not just beneficial to man, it is something that God enjoys. God enjoys this because He delights in us. You may wonder how I have come to this conclusion? Well the Bible says so… 

For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the afflicted ones with salvation. Psalm 149:4

The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but the prayer of the upright is His delight. Proverbs 15.8

God is a “fountain of free grace” and He delights the most in meeting our needs. In fact, it pleases Him to supply our needs according to His riches in glory. 

Finally, prayer is an essential part of our relationship with God. It is arguably the most essential part. Of course, this is conjecture but how do you know a person if you never communicate with said person? It is an amazing privilege to lay everything at the feet of my Father and there is nothing more satisfactory that when He pours out His heart to me.

Comments